TROPHY CLUB, TX (February 21, 2023) - DFW would like to inform you of the rehabilitation work on Runway 13R/31L that could affect air traffic in your vicinity. Runway 13R/31L, DFW’s secondary arrival runway on its west side will be closed from February 21, 2023, through March 6, 2023, in order to accommodate some Airfield Pavement Rehabilitation work. Operations on this runway generally affect the cities of Southlake, Grapevine, Westlake, and Trophy Club.
What to Expect:
Surrounding communities may experience a minor increase in noise within their neighborhoods from the effects of the change in operations during the closure. In general, because aircraft typically take off and land into the wind, when winds are southerly aircraft take off to the south and land from north to south. When winds are northerly, aircraft take off to the north (or northwest in the case of Runway 31L) and land from south to north. Keep in mind that surface winds don’t always dictate flow as winds above the surface and/or operational needs can affect the direction for which aircraft take off and land.
Runway 13L/31R is the secondary arrival/departure runway on DFW’s west side. During it closure:
- North Flow: When winds are out of the north or light/variable:
- Little to no change in operations
- Turboprop departures may shift from Runway 31L to Runway 36R.
- South Flow: When winds are out of the south:
- Arrivals onto the secondary Runway 13R may shift to Runway 17L or Runway 18R.
- The use of the outboard runways (Runways 13L/31R and 17L/35R) may be extended at night to 11pm.
- The runway closure will require that operations shift to other runways, primarily affecting the cities of Coppell, Irving, Flower Mound, Lewisville, Euless, Grand Prairie, and Arlington.
Citizens with inquiries or comments should contact DFW Airport by email at [email protected], or on the Noise Complaint Hotline, at 972-973-3192 (manned 24/7). Follow-up response calls or emails will be provided, when requested. Additionally, please visit our Aircraft Noise Webpage, for more up-to-date information as well as links to our public-facing website.
DFW staff will be happy to meet with you to discuss these changes in operations and its impacts to your city in greater detail if you desire. Please don’t hesitate to contact the Airport if you would like to schedule a meeting or have any questions.
Samuel Tan, C.M.
Environmental Project Manager
PO BOX 619428
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9428
T (972) 973 5597
F (972) 973 5561