Drainage Initiative


Our team is dedicated to providing timely and transparent information to our residents. That includes answering questions we receive related to drainage, flooding, responsibilities, etc. In an effort to assist ALL of our residents who may have similar questions, we will be posting the answers to ALL questions received anonymously below.


To submit your drainage or flooding questions please, CLICK HERE


My neighbor has done some work on his lot and now I’m getting more runoff.  What can I do?

In the past, town staff has come out to look at situations such as this. These situations are civil matters between the homeowners. It does not violate town code for one lot to drain onto another, and you should try to perform work on your lot to help your yard drain more efficiently. It is against state code to divert or concentrate runoff, or block runoff from draining onto your property.

We advise that you meet with your neighbor and discuss the problem to work toward a mutually agreeable solution. If this is not possible, consider grading swales on your property to convey the runoff around your home. Swales are depressions similar to wide shallow ditches that will collect runoff and take it to a more desirable area, typically the street. If swales are graded, care should be taken to ensure that grass is established so that they do not immediately fill up with silt. Occasionally, area drains may be considered. 

I have discussed my drainage problems with my neighbor and they will not work with me. I have considered placing swales or other improvements on my property, but it is not feasible. Is the Town responsible for ensuring proper drainage on my lot?

The Town is not responsible for ensuring proper drainage on privately owned property. If it is impossible to remedy the problem by working with your neighbor, then civil court action may be taken. This should be a last resort to resolving drainage problems. Only if the neighbor is diverting or impounding water against its natural flow or unnaturally concentrating the flow would the neighbor be liable for damages. If water is flowing as it naturally would, then the neighbor has no liability. Property owners are responsible for maintaining drainage on their own property. You could also consider hiring a civil engineer with expertise in storm drainage to examine alternative solutions.

There is new construction behind my lot and I’m having drainage problems due to the construction. Is there anything the Town can do to make the developer drain his development away from me?

There is a misconception that new development is not allowed to drain onto existing development. If the area drained onto the adjacent property prior to development, it may continue to do so after development. New development may not worsen existing structural flooding as reported to the Town. If problems are being created during construction, please contact the Community Development Department at 682.237.2915 and we will investigate to determine whether the development is being properly constructed.

The new construction behind my house is causing a lot of dirt and sediment to enter my yard. Can the Town force the builder to place erosion protection on his lot?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.237.2915. It is helpful if you know the name of the adjacent development. The developer of a subdivision or a commercial site is required to maintain pollution control on his property until adequate vegetation is established.

My neighbor has been draining his swimming pool onto my lot. Who can I contact to stop this?

If the pool is draining onto private property then it is a civil matter between property owners. However, it is a violation of town code to drain pool water into the street. If the swimming pool water is reaching the street, please contact the Community Development Department at 682.237.2915. It is usually necessary to catch them “in the act”, so please call as soon as you notice it. 

The creek behind my house is eroding and threatening my house and/or yard. Can the Town fix this problem?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.237.2915 to report a creek erosion problem. We will log it into a database and use this list of erosion problems to develop a possible erosion program in the future. It may be a few years before any erosion problems are addressed; therefore, the property owner should be proactive in determining a solution to the erosion problem. 

If the creek is not designated as FEMA Floodway/Floodplain, the homeowner may place materials, such as concrete sacks, gabions, or rocks in the creek for erosion protection. Wood materials, including cross ties or landscape timbers shall not be placed in the creek. Please contact the Community Development Department prior to placing anything in the creek so that we may discuss it with you. Care should be taken to match the flowline of the creek with the materials so that the creek capacity is maintained. If the creek is designated as FEMA Floodway, then an engineering consultant should be hired to design the erosion control measures, coordinate with the Town and determine if any correspondence with FEMA will be required. 

After it rains there is a puddle in my street gutter. Will the Town repair the street to eliminate the gutter ponding?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.238.2915 and we will determine if your street is publicly or privately maintained. If your street is public, we will place your location on a list and it will be graded based on the severity of the ponding. If the problem is fairly minor, it will be placed on a list to be repaired by the Street Division. If it is more significant, it may be placed on a list for a future street rebuild project. If you live in a private subdivision, then it is the responsibility of the homeowners association or the individual homeowner to correct the problem.

The storm drain system on my street does not appear to be functioning as well as it used to. What can the Town do?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.238.2915. The storm drain system may have become clogged. If there is a problem with a public storm drain system, we can inspect for blockage and remove debris if present. If the system is private, then it is the responsibility of the homeowners association or the individual homeowner to maintain the system.

What is the difference between public and private drainage systems?

Public drainage systems are located within public drainage easements or street right-of-way. We require that a system be public when it crosses a lot line. Public drainage systems are the town's maintenance responsibility. Private drainage systems are located on private property and may or may not be located within private drainage easements.

Private drainage systems typically do not cross lot lines and are generally used to collect runoff on a specific lot. Private drainage systems are required to be maintained by the property owner.

When it rains water flows over the street curb and floods my home. Is there anything that the Town can do?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.238.2915 and we will investigate. There could be a problem with the street capacity when storm water flows over the curb. If this is the case and a structure is flooding, then the problem may be designated as a project candidate on the town's Drainage CIP. Typical solutions to this problem are: construction of an overflow flume; construction of berms and reconstruction of driveways to keep the water in the street; or construction of an inlet and pipe system to connect to an existing drainage system

I have a drainage problem on my property and none of the above questions seem related to it. Who can I call?

Please contact the Community Development Department at 682.238.2915. When you call this number, you may be asked a few general questions to get an idea of the concern. We will then assign the call to a staff member. The staff member will research the location and will call you back to discuss your concerns. Once any questions have been answered or action has been taken, the staff member will log the complaint into a database. After the information has been logged into the database, it becomes public record and we must provide the information to anyone who asks for it