Dangerous Winter Holiday Plants for Pets

Posted by April Reiling on Nov 13, 2015
Tags: Animals, Community, Holiday, Landscaping, Public Health

By Marcia Kortmeyer, member TCWC, Trophy Gardeners, Chair TCWC Community Service Projects

You’re kidding? Seriously? The Holidays are just weeks away. Where did summer go? Didn’t I just go Christmas shopping a few months ago? I don’t know how time flies by but it does.  And with the Holidays upon us I think of Poinsettias, Mistletoe and Holly.  Beautiful Holiday plants!  But keep in mind that these plants can be toxic to our pets. 

A new plant in the house will create curiosity for our dogs & cats and they want to check them out. Be sure to keep the plants out of their reach.  Far out of their reach. Ingesting Poinsettia can make them sick enough that a trip to the vet will be likely. However, Mistletoe and Holly have a greater toxicity level than the poinsettia and can cause severe illness. If you have pets, it is best to not even bring these plants into the house.  Amaryllis is another plant that can be toxic if ingested. And let’s not forget that live Christmas Tree: According to PetMD.com the water used to nourish Christmas trees can be noxious. Bacteria, molds, and fertilizers can cause your pet to become extremely sick with only a few laps.

For most of us, our pets are part of our family, so protect them this Holiday Season.  For more detailed info on these and other Holiday plants check out PetMD.com and search for seasonal plants.  In addition: With cold & freezing weather coming soon, this is a good time to remind everyone to bring your cats and dogs inside! No, it is not okay to leave them outside in freezing temps. Check Humane Society.org for tips on keeping pets safe during winter weather.