The Zoning Board of Adjustment shall have the following powers:
- Administrative Review: To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official of the Town in the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Special Exceptions: To hear and decide Special Exceptions to the terms of this ordinance upon which the Board is required to pass under the Zoning Ordinance, if any.
- Variances: To authorize upon appeal in special cases, such variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance as will not be contrary to the public interest, where, owing to special conditions, the literal enforcement of the provision of this ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship, so that the spirit of the Ordinance shall be observed and substantial justice done.
The applicant must demonstrate:
- That special conditions and circumstances exist which make the land, structure or building unique from others in the same district.
- That the literal interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by other in the same district.
- that special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant. The hardship cannot be self-created.
- That granting of the variance will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the Zoning Ordinance to others in the same district.
- To permit in any district such modification of the requirements of the district regulations as the Board may deem necessary to secure an appropriate development of a lot where adjoining such lot on two (2) or more sides there are lots occupied by buildings which do not conform to the regulations of the district.
- Nonconforming Uses: To review the status of nonconforming uses and permit the reconstruction of nonconforming uses, the resumption of abandoned nonconforming uses, or the discontinuance or amortization of nonconforming uses.
Please contact the board's staff liaison with comments or questions.
All Boards and Commissions are composed of several residents and a Staff Liaison.